Not just aromatherapy
Essential oils don’t just smell good, they have many practical uses too. I always bring my collection of essential oils with me as birthing aids; here’s some ideas for oils you may like to try at home.
Stretchmark Remedy with Essential OilsMake yourself a remedy for stretchmarks using some of my favourite essential oils – Smells gorgeous! (You don’t have to be pregnant to use this one!)
- Remedy for Stretchmarks - Prevention is better than cure, so best to start using this as soon as you start growing! Mix up a lotion from apricot, almond, olive or peach kernel oil (actually any nut oil is good!) – 50ml Add up to 15 drops of a mixture of the following essential oils LAVENDER NEROLI ROSE FRANKINCENSE TANGERINE […]
Essential Oils for Childbirth
Any oil whose scent you particularly like can be chosen to disinfect the birth room. I would recommend eucalyptus or neroli, as apart from smelling lovely they will also help with breathing. A few drops on a burner or candle will scent the room.
Here’s a list of the essential oils I particularly recommend for labour.
- Rose (Rose Centifolia) - Rose (Rose Centifolia) essential oil – apart from smelling beautiful, Rose oil is a nervous & uterine relaxant, so makes a wonderful birthing aid. Really helps with fear & terror! Caution – Not recommended in the first 4 months of pregnancy.
- Clary Sage (Salvia Sclaria) - Clary Sage essential oil is soothing & euphoric. It is a good ‘speeder upper’ during labour, promoting regular contractions and helping with breathing. Clary Sage is an analgesic (helps with pain) and also offers relief from physical & nervous exhaustion. Caution – Do not use Clary Sage earlier in pregnancy (before labour) as it can […]
- Jasmine (Jasminum Officinale) - Jasmine essential oil is a very valuable oil for childbirth. It speeds up delivery time by strengthening contractions and also helps with pain relief. Jasmine oil is lactogenic – encourages breast milk production. It is a nervous and emotional tonic and is recommended as a cure for severe depression. It is also considered to balance […]
- Lavender (Lavender Officinalis) - Lavender essential oil is a relaxant, smells beautiful in an incense burner and can be used internally as pain relief. A couple of drops on a sugar cube or chocolates works wonders. An excellent birth aid!
- Neroli (Citrus Bigaradia) - Neroli essential oil improves circulation throughout your body and is a wonderful calming remedy for use during pregnancy and labour. Neroli helps with fear, restlessness, apprehension, anxiety, depression, overwork & exhaustion! It can help with digestive problems, to balance the emotions, and as an aid to restful sleep (particularly in the third trimester) Neroli oil […]
- Orange (Citrus Sinensis) - I love to use orange oil, it’s a wonderful tonic which promotes feelings of happiness and warmth. Smells gorgeous! Raises energy & spirit! Orange oil’s properties are antiseptic, anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and diuretic. It acts as a lymphatic stimulant, balancing water processes and helping detoxification. Orange oil, like other citrus oils such as Lemon, Bergamot […]
- Sage (Salvia Officinalis) - Sage stimulates the muscles of the uterus so is only to be used during labour! Salvia means “to save”. It helps to relieve pain and soothes nerves. Has also been known to save ailing newborns! Dose Infusion 2tsp to 1 cup water 3 x a day.
- Ylang Ylang (Cananga Oderata) - Ylang Ylang (Cananga Oderata) Ylang Ylang is great for being warming, instilling confidence & adding extra energy as you enter sweating stage! It’s very calming and actually helps lower the blood pressure! Also helps with digestion and can help to regulate bowel movements. Helps with fear, depression and shock.