- Once the inner mouth opens – the cervix is dilated
- Tired – take a nap – TO REST IS NOT DANGEROUS!
- Hot – drink cool water – rest
- Cold – use a blanket, do some exercise
- Nipple stimulation can always be benieficial to birth progression
- A woman’s instincts are the primary answer to what is needed during the 2nd stage
- ASSIST HER TO LISTEN TO HERSELF BY LISTENING TO HER
- Food can be instantly benificial to the womans laboring capabilities
- When the birthing womans experience is longer than the midwives endurance , HAVE A PARTNER!
- ITS GOOD TO HAVE SUPPORT AND FRIENDS! NEVER BE TOO PROUD TO STEP ASIDE!
- Toilet seats, birth stools, showers- all these assist in the progress of labor
- Facial expressions are important during labour – scrunched up face = clenched uterus – relaxed face = relaxed uterus
- Make the sphincter happy! – quiet , relaxing, dim light, gentle music, sexual attention, sweet smells , warm water
- Release all tension in the body and brain
- Sometimes the dimensions of the pelvis need to change to assist the downward movement of the OP ( Occiput- back of babies head- Posterior – facing mothers bottom), high position baby
- Get the mother to stand upright , a person on each side of he mother places hand s on the top of the hip bones and together they push inwards thus creating a scissor movement in the pelvis making the bottom bones open wider.- or in the words of my 9 year olds son Jake ” If the baby is stuck push on the top sides of the mummies bottom and the baby will come out of the bottom of the mummies bottom! “
* To birth easily*
- Watch the partners! if they need to wee and are holding on they will be influencing their woman’s ability to let go.
- Tell stories -‘ How I learned to enjoy pooping in labour’, ‘ The princess and the Poo’, ‘ The mole who knew it was none of his business’
- Make the room smell nice
- Most fears are just social inhibitions we need to be practical to overcome them
- ASSIST MOTHERS TO REWIRE THEIR MINDS TO CELEBRATE POOPING AND FARTING TO CREATE POSITIVE BIRTH STORIES!
- We need to laugh more in labour- it gives us neuro endorphins and oxytocin ( the birthing love hormone) it also softens the pelvis and allows the baby to come down
- Meconium is not poo! It is intestine packing ! It is not nasty!
- If there is meconium and the heart tones are good there is no need to worry
- Heart decelerations are common panic moments but if the baby recovers immediately then it has enough oxygen and there is no need to fear.
- Dad is good as furniture and bad as a cameraman
LAUGH MORE LOVE MORE!
Ina May Gaskin is an amazing woman – a midwife, author and international birth activist, her books ‘Spiritual Midwifery , Ina May’s guide to childbirth ‘ and ‘A Midwives’ manifesto’ are compelling, enlightening reading. if you haven’t already read them, I advise you to do so!
In this session, she also advised that ‘ The Court Midwife’ by Justine Siegermunden was an interesting read.